D. Lichtenstein & Company
Mr. Lichtenstein started in March, 1874, on a scale compared with his present prominence small indeed. His store, a central purchasing point of town, he has occupied now five years. It is large and substantially built of brick, is 22 x 80 feet and is specially arranged for trade. There are likewise two spacious warehouses used for storing the heavier and duplicate stock; he carries a line of goods such as one seldom finds outside of the large cities. It contains teas, coffees, sugars, syrups, molasses and spices of all kinds; best brands of flour, butter, cheese; country produce, direct from producer, fresh every day; canned goods, soaps in all varieties, and in fact everything used in feeding man or beast; in liquors, wines, beer and ales, Mr. Lichtenstein is the only wholesale dealer in this county; he carries best French, German and Californian wines, imported and domestic whiskies, brandies, liquors and an endless assortment of mineral waters.
He also runs the furniture store of Tarboro’; it is located on the other side of the courthouse, is 25 x 90 feet in extent and is filled to repletion with a fine stock of parlor, kitchen and chamber furniture, in sets and singly and a select lot of the latest novelties in fancy goods. This house does a heavy trade, both wholesale and retail, throughout this section of country, where it enjoys the full confidence of the best merchants and families. It is done both on a credit and cash basis. The proprietor, is ably assisted in the discharge of his numerous operations by four polite hands.
Extract from the book, Historical and Descriptive Review of North Carolina, published in 1885, page 185. found on the website, Internet Archive (http://archive.org) accessed 19 January 2021.