The Planters Bank was organized in 1899, to meet the demand for greater and more ample banking facilities brought about by the rapid growth of the city, and to foster and encourage new industries. It has been the uniform policy of the bank officials, as well as their pleasure, to encourage small depositors, liberally uphold them when deserving, and extend them every courtesy which the larger depositors receive. The result of this policy can be plainly seen in the great popularity and strength of this bank among the smaller businesses and among the farmers of this section, as well as among the business concerns of larger capital and greater scope.
The Board of Directors is an especially fine one, every name on it standing for honor, financial strength, courtesy, care, and efficiency. The following stockholders are members of the Board of Directors: M. C. Braswell (merchant, planter and capitalist, Battleboro, N. C.) H. B. Bryan (Planter, Battleboro, N. C.) Geo. S. Edwards (head of G. S. Edwards & Co. Wholesale Grocers of Rocky Mount) M. R. Braswell (Physician retired and planter) J. R. Sorsby (head of Standard Hardware Co.) J. C. Braswell (President) Jno. M. Sherrod (Planter, Whitakers, N. C., and Vice-President) W. H. Newell (General Supt. A. C. L. Railroad Co.) W. T. Williford (Merchant) W. S. Wilkinson (of Wilkinson, Bulluck & Co.) H. B. Marriott (Physician of Battleboro).
The above names are a guarantee which no man can gainsay, and the sufficiency of which almost every citizen of Rocky Mount and this section fully knows that the affairs of this bank must be conducted with the greatest measure of care, ability and integrity known to the business of banking.
Extract from the book, Rocky Mount: The Gateway of Eastern North Carolina, published in 1911, pages 69-72. found on the website, Internet Archive (http://archive.org) accessed 30 May 2021.